Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Here Goes Nothing

What's up y'all?! 

First things first. Thanks for visiting my brand spankin new blog!!!


I'm really kind of excited about this because writing a blog is something I never thought I'd do, and I usually don't "put myself out there" like I'm doing right now. I credit all of the blogs that I read on a daily basis for giving me inspiration to do this. I hope you enjoy what you read, and maybe I can even be a little bit of inspiration to someone else. Comments would also be appreciated, friendly ones of course, even if it's friendly criticism! 

Okay so, here we go.

A little back story real quick: Scott, aka the hubs, like every other man, tends to not use directions when travelling in unknown territory...and I tend to call him out on it when we get a little lost. Trying to ease my mind in these situations, he tells me it'll be okay because we're just on a Moyer adventure; he's right every single time. It will be okay, and we will find our way. It just may take us a little longer than planned, we may take a few wrong turns somewhere, we may end up somewhere sketchy, and we might get a little frustrated! Such is life. So, I plan to use this space to tell the stories of our Moyer adventures as we navigate through our weight loss journey, marriage (we're newlyweds, holla!), and life in general.

What a better way to start my blog than with a recipe! We just finished eating a dinner of chicken enchiladas, refried beans, and homemade GUACAMOLE! If you had told me to try guacamole a year ago, I'd have thought you were crazy. I used to not eat avocado, tomatoes, onions, peppers, cucumbers, etc etc etc...but then I met Scott who introduced me to caramelized onions. It truly was love at first bite. From then on I've increasingly branched out to try new things, and have recently been on a guacamole kick. It's so expensive in the stores and usually not that good so I decided to make some myself. 


Guacamole
2 Hass avocados
1/4 cup purple onion, chopped 
1/8 cup tomato, chopped
1 tbsp green chiles, chopped
1 clove garlic, smashed
1 ear corn on the cob
juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
salt
pepper

Cut avocados in half, scoop out the flesh, and put it in a food processor. (I used a chop/grind only mini processor). Chop or grind avocado until almost smooth, leaving some chunks. Scoop out all the avocado into a bowl. Add onion, tomato, green chiles, garlic, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper to taste. Stir to mix well. Cover and put in fridge. Wrap the corn on the cob (still in the stalk) with a damp paper towel. Cook in microwave for 5 minutes. Heat olive oil in a skillet to medium high heat. Remove the corn stalk and silk, and put the corn in the skillet to "grill" it. Rotate corn until all sides have browned some. When browned, remove kernels and mix them into guacamole. 

Voila! 

&& that wraps up my very first blog post! let me know what you think, I'd love to hear from you!

xoxo, Kelley


5 comments:

  1. Congtulation kelly on your new blog, and this new life journey that you are starting on. If you look at it as a life style change and not a diet you will change yours and Scott's lives forever. You can do it. Best of luck to the both of you. I will be rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a gift for writing, cooking, and making Scott happy. So now you face a new adventure and will rise to the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM this sounds so good! Can't wait to read your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That guacamole looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your new blog, and your new marriage! Home made guac is ALWAYS better! I can relate with the not eating x,y,z before. I used to not eat anything - peppers, steak, mushrooms, beans. And then I just started trying things. And I love it all :)

    ReplyDelete