Friday, January 24, 2014

The Beginning of My Moyer Adventure

I took a nap for the first time in a long while yesterday afternoon. Hence why I'm writing this at 1:00 am. So there's that.

Scott and I originally wrote "our story" for our wedding website, but I'm afraid that website may disappear at some point; so I thought I'd put it here on my little space on the internet for the whole 3 people that read my little ol' blog :).

I was in the first semester of my junior year of college. Scott had moved to the same city from North Carolina only a few months before to attend graduate school at the same college as me and work as a video assistant for the football team. Scott didn't really know many people yet except for the guys he worked with, and I was just trying to make good grades. How we found each other is a story for another day, but at first we just communicated through Facebook, and that eventually led to phone calls. After a few weeks of just talking, a "date" was set up, and then I cancelled. More than once. I was totally apprehensive, and he still likes to remind me of it often. However, Scott didn't give up on me. I really wanted to meet him, but I was shy, scared, and basically worried about what he would think of me. His patience with me is one of his characteristics that initially stood out to me.

Picture taken the day we refer to as becoming "official"

So, in October of 2008, I was taking a theater class (totally an elective and totally boring) and had an assignment to attend the play that the school's theater department was putting on. I didn't know anybody in the class, and I didn't want to attend the play by myself so I asked Scott if he would like to go with me. I could tell he wasn't so sure about that, and anybody that knows him knows that he couldn't really care less about plays. Despite this fact, he agreed to meet me up there. I wasn't working at the time, so I was pretty much one of those broke college students...and I had to buy two tickets to the play. We were able to purchase student price tickets, but only one ticket per student ID. My roomate wasn't able to go with me to buy the second ticket at the cheaper price, so I quickly recruited a girl from my physics lab group. It really was a pain in the butt to get that second ticket. Scott and I had already confirmed the plans of when and where to meet, so that night...I go where I'm supposed to and wait for him. He's not there, and it's almost time for the play to start. After many phone calls and no answers, I had to go on in to my seat...and watch the stupid play by myself all the while wondering what happened to him. Did he stand me up? Did football practice run late? Did he get in a car wreck? I didn't know what to think. So after the play, I went straight home, still calling him and getting no answer. I finally left him a not-so-nice voicemail, which is the first time he experienced my feistyness. My roomate was home and of course we had a little talk about how I just got stood up. After I had cooled off and was about to go to bed, I get a phone call from Scott. He apologized over and over again and offered to pay for the ticket he didn't use. He was apologizing for falling asleep after football practice, and his phone was on silent! I didn't know whether to believe him at first, but I eventually did. And after almost 5 1/2 years together, I TOTALLY believe him :) I'm a forgiving person so we made plans to meet the next night. We just watched movies at my apartment (I had 3 roomates, so we weren't alone!), and the next day we met up with each other at the Homecoming football game. From then on out, we were inseparable. We celebrated our anniversary on October 17, and will have our sixth dating anniversary this year. 

This is just the beginning of our story though.

Til next time, 
Kelley

No comments:

Post a Comment